Monday, March 22, 2010

Hello!

Hi,

My name is Martijn Hellemans, but in the community I go by the name of Dino_Martino. I was asked to become a NXT step contributor, andI can't let such an opportunity slip away.
Me in a nutshell:
Not LEGO related:
I'm fourteen years old. I live in a rather sleepy town named "Heist-op-den-Berg", Antwerp, Belgium. My native language is dutch. besides LEGO I love everything related to science, technique, technology, electronics, robotics,...
I got bit by the electrics bug when I got an electronics play-kit for my 8th birthday.
My other passion is music. I play the drums for 6 years now. My favourite styles include: Jazz, Funk, Latin, and other stuff.
LEGO related:

Like a lot of other peoples, I have been playing with LEGO's since I was *very* young. My older brothers had an immense stack of old style, classic LEGO. In fact, if it weren't for my brothers, I don't think I would have got into LEGO TECHNIC.
When I was about six, I watched how my brother amazing constructions/mechanics using the old - mostly brick&knob - TECHNIC. I got my first set when I was eight. It was the yellow heavy loader crane (#8421). That was the point of no return: that's when I turned into a true "TECHNIC'aholic".

One of the things I always loved about LEGO is that you get an infinite number of possibillities. When you look at a RC car, or one of thos robot dogs, you get one design and one behavior.
With all kinds of LEGO, the only limit is what *the builder does* with the blocks => his/her capabilities and his/her imagination.
When I saw a MINDSTORMS folder, I fell in love: the ability to program your TECHNIC creation opened so may options!
I'll quit boring you now, and show you some of my projects:

This is one of my earlier projects. It is called toiletpaper-bot. It won the earthday building contest. It is designed to prevent peoples form wasting toilet paper.
It is not build thàt good - I didn't have a lot of experience - but it does show some originality: great, funny solutions to whatever problem I encounterred. Perhaps too much security for toilet paper...
everything else you need to know:

This project is one of my most massive, most impressive project. It is a freefall attraction for minifig's. It carries 16 passengers, is one story high (2.5m = 8.2 feet). It tows the cart up, and launches it into freefall.
For more info:
Thank you for reading!
Martijn "Dino_Martino" Hellemans

No comments:

Post a Comment